In September, take the Becky Thatcher to a spectacular natural phenomenon as hundreds of thousands of Tree and Barn Swallows converge on the lower Connecticut River and swarm as a beautifully choreographed flock over Goose Island before settling in on a giant communal roost each evening at sunset. The birds come from as far as 30 miles away and in such number that they show up on weather radar.
- Board the train at Essex Station for a 5:00 pm departure
- 3-hour cruise down the Connecticut River aboard the Becky Thatcher riverboat
- Train brings you back to Essex Station between 8:30 and 9:00 pm (depending upon time of Swallow event)
- Food and beverage service are available at the fully stocked bar
(Due to our liquor permit, no BYOB permitted)
- Due to the time of day and duration of the cruise, Swallow Cruise is not recommended for children under 10
- Tickets are $35, advanced tickets recommended