About the Train
Essex Steam Train & Riverboat’s 2 1/2-hour train and riverboat or 1 hour train only journeys begins at the historic 1892 Essex Station for a 12-mile, narrated round-trip into the heart of the unspoiled Connecticut River Valley. The steam locomotive pulls vintage coaches through the quintessential New England towns of Deep River and Chester. A natural highlight is the undeveloped Selden Neck State Park, accessible only by boat. Essex Steam Train offers unique access to several coves and preserves, immersing passengers in an on-board eco-excursion. The train travels near the tidal wetlands of Pratt Cove and Chester Creek — bountiful, natural habitats for birds including Cormorants, Ducks, Swans, Greenland Geese, Blue Heron, Egrets, and Red-winged Blackbirds. In February and March, the majestic Bald Eagle is the star of the show when it migrates south to the Connecticut River Valley from Canada and Maine.
2021 Operating Schedule
July 1-August 21: Thursday-Monday
Sunday August 22: CANCELED due to storm Henri
(The Train & Riverboat does not operate August 23-September 5)
September 6: Monday
September 10-September 26: Friday-Sunday
October 1 -October 31: Friday-Monday
2.5 Hour Train & Riverboat Excursions & 1 Hour Train Excursions @ 11:00 am, 12:30pm, 2:00 pm
Please arrive 30 minutes before your departure time and check in at the Essex Station Ticket Window. No tickets will be mailed or emailed. Advance purchase is strongly suggested; walk up ticket purchase availability is not guaranteed. Tickets are non-refundable but can be exchanged for another date/time if done so 48 hours prior to your scheduled excursion. This excursion operates Rain or Shine but the the Company reserves the rights to delay, postpone or cancel the excursion.
- The Essex Steam Train & Riverboat is following cleaning and disinfecting protocol based on Federal (EPA), State of Connecticut, and CDC guidelines of what specific products shall be used and how, to keep our customers and employees safe.
- All guests, regardless of vaccination status are required to wear a mask while boarding and deboarding and while out of your seat on the train and riverboat , inside our gift store and restrooms, and when appropriate social distancing can not be maintained .
- No alcoholic beverages may be brought onto the property or aboard the train or boat. Limited food and beverages will be available for purchase on board the Riverboat.
- Please wash your hands often and make frequent use of sanitization stations.
- Our train cars and the Becky Thatcher riverboat will be regularly sanitized for customer and employee safety.
- Always maintain a safe social distance from other guests.
- If you are feeling ill, please be respectful and stay home.