About the Train
Essex Steam Train & Riverboat’s 2 1/2-hour train and riverboat or 1 hour train only journeys begins at the historic 1892 Essex Station for a 12-mile, narrated round-trip into the heart of the unspoiled Connecticut River Valley. The steam locomotive pulls vintage coaches through the quintessential New England towns of Deep River and Chester. A natural highlight is the undeveloped Selden Neck State Park, accessible only by boat. Essex Steam Train offers unique access to several coves and preserves, immersing passengers in an on-board eco-excursion. The train travels near the tidal wetlands of Pratt Cove and Chester Creek — bountiful, natural habitats for birds including Cormorants, Ducks, Swans, Greenland Geese, Blue Heron, Egrets, and Red-winged Blackbirds. In February and March, the majestic Bald Eagle is the star of the show when it migrates south to the Connecticut River Valley from Canada and Maine.
Saturday & Sunday May 1-June 27: 2.5 Hour Train & Riverboat Excursions & 1 Hour Train Excursions @ 11:00 am, 12:30pm, 2:00 pm
Thursday-Monday July 1-August 22: 2.5 Hour Train & Riverboat Excursions & 1 Hour Train Excursions @ 11:00 am, 12:30pm, 2:00 pm
September & October: Schedule in Progress
Please arrive 30 minutes before your departure time and check in at the Essex Station Ticket Window or Platform Check in Cart. No tickets will be mailed or emailed. Advance purchase is strongly suggested; walk up ticket purchase availability is not guaranteed. Tickets are non-refundable but can be exchanged for another date/time if done so 48 hours prior to your scheduled excursion. This excursion operates Rain or Shine but the the Company reserves the rights to delay, postpone or cancel the excursion.
- The Essex Steam Train & Riverboat is following cleaning and disinfecting protocol based on Federal (EPA), State of Connecticut, and CDC guidelines of what specific products shall be used and how, to keep our customers and employees safe.
- You are required to wear a mask while on the property and unable to maintain 6 foot social distancing. You may lower your mask when seated on your excursion. Our crew will be wearing masks at all times.
- Some of our buildings, including Trackside Cafe are closed to the public at this time. The Gift Shop and Public restrooms will remain open and be sanitized regularly.
- The Becky Thatcher snack bar will only be serving non-alcoholic canned or bottled beverages.
- Please wash your hands often and make frequent use of sanitization stations.
- Our train cars and the Becky Thatcher riverboat will be regularly sanitized for customer and employee safety.
- Always maintain a safe social distance from other guests.
- If you are feeling ill, please be respectful and stay home.