Train & Boat
About the Train
Essex Steam Train & Riverboat’s 2 1/2-hour journey begins at the historic 1892 Essex Station for a 12-mile, narrated round-trip into the heart of the unspoiled Connecticut River Valley. The steam locomotive pulls vintage coaches through the quintessential New England towns of Deep River and Chester. A natural highlight is the undeveloped Selden Neck State Park, accessible only by boat. Essex Steam Train offers unique access to several coves and preserves, immersing passengers in an on-board eco-excursion. The train travels near the tidal wetlands of Pratt Cove and Chester Creek — bountiful, natural habitats for birds including Cormorants, Ducks, Swans, Greenland Geese, Blue Heron, Egrets, and Red-winged Blackbirds. In February and March, the majestic Bald Eagle is the star of the show when it migrates south to the Connecticut River Valley from Canada and Maine.
Departures: Saturdays July 18 – August 22 at 11:00 am (2.5 hour Round Trip Train & Riverboat Excursion)
- July 18 also has 12:30 pm (2.5 hour Round Trip Train & Riverboat Excursion)
Price: $34.95 for all passengers age 2 & older in Coach Seating
Please arrive 30 minutes before your departure time and check in at the Essex Station Ticket Window. No tickets will be mailed or emailed. Advance purchase is strongly suggested; walk up ticket purchase availability is not guaranteed. Tickets are non-refundable but can be exchanged for another date/time if done so 48 hours prior to your scheduled excursion. This excursion operates Rain or Shine but the the Company reserves the rights to delay, postpone or cancel the excursion.
- The Essex Steam Train & Riverboat is following cleaning and disinfecting protocol based on Federal (EPA), State of Connecticut, and CDC guidelines of what specific products shall be used and how, to keep our customers and employees safe.
- You are required to wear a mask while on the property and unable to maintain 6 foot social distancing. You may lower your mask when seated on your excursion. Our crew will be wearing masks at all times.
- Our buildings, including the gift shop and Trackside Cafe are closed to the public at this time. Public restrooms will remain open and be sanitized regularly.
- The Becky Thatcher snack bar will only be serving non-alcoholic canned or bottled beverages.
- Please wash your hands often and make frequent use of sanitization stations.
- Our train cars and the Becky Thatcher riverboat will be regularly sanitized for customer and employee safety.
- Always maintain a safe social distance from other guests.
- If you are feeling ill, please be respectful and stay home.
About the Riverboat
At Deep River Landing, passengers are escorted onto the Becky Thatcher riverboat for a 11/4– hour cruise along the Connecticut River. The visual serenity of the river valley is on full display from Becky‘s multiple decks. The deep water, coves, inlets, marshes, wildlife, and rocky shoreline are, all at once, simply breathtaking!
Just as impressive are the historic sites, including Gillette Castle, Goodspeed Opera House and the Haddam Swing Bridge. Upon Becky‘s return to Deep River Landing, the steam train welcomes passengers for the return trip back to Essex Station.
Coach Class Cars
- Flip-back (directional) coach seating