We love kids at Essex Steam Train! A ride on the Essex Steam Train and the Becky Thatcher Riverboat provide students a unique opportunity to have a super fun day with wonderfully educational benefits. Kids will learn about:
- The science of our steam engines
- The history of our railroad and vintage rail cars
- The ecology and history of the Connecticut River Valley
- Cruise by historic Gillette Castle, Goodspeed Opera House and other sites
- Round trip ticket is $12.00 per person
All School Trips Start with a Tour Guide
Immediately upon arrival at Essex Station, a tour guide will greet your school bus and escort your group on a 20-minute, grade-appropriate tour featuring: “How a Steam Locomotive Works” and “The History and Future of Transportation.”
Steam Train & Riverboat Excursion
Ride aboard authentic train passenger coaches as the steam locomotive powers you to the Becky Thatcher Riverboat. Aboard the riverboat excursion, enjoy the beautiful sights along the Connecticut River, including the historic Gillette Castle. As students travel aboard the Becky Thatcher, they’ll be treated to rare action views of the steam train traveling along the banks of the Connecticut River, pacing Becky as she cruises along the waterway. This remarkable sight enlivens transportation curriculum and punctuates the uniqueness of Essex Steam Train & Riverboat — the only steam train and riverboat connection in the United States. The train will then transport you back to Essex Station.
The school-trip timetable accommodates a 20-minute, narrated Essex Station tour prior to train departure. The overall time spent at Essex Steam Train & Riverboat is approximately 3 hours. The breakdown of the day is as follows:
- Arrival Essex Station and narration 10:15 a.m.
- Train & Boat Excursion 11:00 a.m.
- Train returns Essex Station 1:00 p.m.
- Gift Shop 1:00 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.
2020 School Trip Operating Days: May 18, 19, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 29
Great educational value at $12.00 per person
For Reservations Please Call Howard at 800-377-3987 x 201